Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Eating Disorder Defined

Throughout time, people have defined and explained Eating Disorders in a variety of ways. Yet, I think that each person has their own unique and personal definition for this complex disease. Over the many years of existing in the clutches of the “Eating Monster”, I have come to recognize that this disorder has many personalities, faces and powers. The most powerful characteristic of “my” Eating Disorder was the control aspect. I visualized a colossal, intimidating monster that held the keys to my cell door. It restricted the times of incarceration, when and how long I was let out. This monster’s face was the icon that symbolized my experience of the Eating Disorder and it dominated over my thoughts and actions. Many people may define an Eating Disorder as a clinical term or may voice a theory behind this disease. But, I defined it as a strong monstrous energy that plagued my life for twenty-seven years.I am hopeful for day of freedom; to breathe, speak, think and feel as I believe to be right.
By
Monica Ibarra-Robbins

1 comment:

  1. I hope for that too!! You gotta have a plan! How are you going to get that freedom? What is going to make you give it up? I always wonder when it will be bad enough that you will be willing to do something different so that you can breathe and have that freedom you so freely talk about!! I love you and want you to experience that as I want anyone who has this horrible disease to experience!

    ReplyDelete